WHAT WE DO
Community Engagement & Service
APCH takes its commitment to strengthen our neighborhood seriously. We provide classes and services for parents, host community-wide events throughout the year, and distribute over a million dollars worth of food, clothing, beds, books, toys, and household essentials into the community each year.
We teach our members to contribute and lead in the community as a way of life. Our teens mentor and tutor the “littles and middles”(elementary and middle school students), volunteer at APCH community events and clean-ups, and model behavior for younger members throughout the year.
In addition, we:
- Maintain partnerships with trade and technical schools and local employers to help our teens acquire the technological and vocational skills necessary in today’s job market
- Join with generous retailers to help our members dress for success. Our Dress to Impress Project provides teens with beautiful formal wear for proms, graduations, job interviews and other special occasions
- Partner with the LAPD on responding to community crises and monitoring safety in the community
- Gift thousands of toys, books, and articles of clothing during our Home for the Holidays events
- Serve over 1,000 meals at our Thanksgiving Community Dinner and distribute hundreds of bags of groceries the same day
- Involve our members and families as volunteers in community service events throughout the year
- Host more than 1,500 L.A. community volunteers each year
- Collaborate with more than 100 other organizations in our community – click HERE for more details
- Host voter registration events, town hall meetings, candidates’ debates and provide a polling place