WHAT WE DO
Community Engagement & Service
APCH takes its commitment to strengthening our neighborhood seriously. We provide classes and services for parents, host community-wide events throughout the year, and distribute over a million dollars worth of food, clothing, beds, books, toys, and household essentials into the community each year.
We teach our members to contribute and lead in the community as a way of life. Our teens mentor and tutor the “littles and middles”(elementary and middle school students), volunteer at APCH community events and clean-ups, and model behavior for younger members throughout the year.
In addition, we:
- Maintain partnerships with LA Trade Tech College and local employers to help our teens and parents acquire the technological and vocational skills necessary in today’s job market
- Join with generous retailers to help our members dress for success. Our Cinderella & Prince Charming Project provides teens with beautiful formal wear for proms, graduations, and other special occasions
- Partner with the LAPD on a Safe Passage Initiative, delineating and monitoring safe routes for kids to walk to and from school
- Gift thousands of toys, books, and articles of clothing during our A Place Called Home for the Holidays events
- Serve over 1,000 meals at our Thanksgiving Community Dinner and distribute hundreds of bags of groceries the same day
- Involve our members and families as volunteers in community service events throughout the year
- Host more than 1,500 L.A. community volunteers each year
- Collaborate with more than 100 other organizations in our community – click HERE for more details
- Host voter registration events, town hall meetings, candidate debates and a polling place